Best Care for your Hat:
- Always handle your hat by the brim. Avoid handling the crown as much as possible. This is particularly true for straw hats.
- Never rest your hat on its brim. Turn it upside down and rest it on the crown. Resting a hat on the brim will flatten-out the brim.
- Dust your hat with a soft bristled brush to keep it clean.
- Heat will shrink the interior sweatband – avoid exposure to stoves, radiators, lamps and car windows.
- Store your hat in a cool dry place to help it to retain its shape and stay clean. Out-of-season, store your hat in a hat box.
If your Hat Gets Wet:
- Try to prevent your straw hat from getting wet! Water will cause the straw to swell, discolor, and lose its shape.
- If your felt hat gets wet, first return the hat to its original shape, then turn down the interior leather sweatband and rest the hat on the sweatband to dry. Avoid resting the hat on its brim while wet. Do not expose a wet hat to heat.
Post taken from http://www.delmonicohatter.com/tips.htm